Opioid Overdose Prevention
Praxis provides Opioid Overdose Prevention training to all Massachusetts Bureau of Substance Abuse Services
funded substance use disorder treatment programs. This 3-hour interactive training includes instruction, discussions, interactive activities, and naloxone demonstration. Trainers will distribute Naloxone to providers who attend the training. Read the agenda.
At the end of the training, participants will be able to:
- Name 10 risks factors for opioid overdoses.
- Describe physiological effects of opioids in the brain and body.
- Demonstrate how to assess for opioid overdose.
- Describe 5 harm reduction strategies for decreasing the risks of opioid overdoses.
- Explain how Naloxone works to reverse opioid overdoses.
- Discriminate between rescue breathing and CPR.
- Demonstrate 5 critical actions to reverse an opioid overdose.
- Generate key discussion points for teaching clients about opioid overdose prevention.
Participants who have attended all three or four hours of the training, completed the course evaluation form, and signed the sign-in sheet will be awarded a Certificate of Completion for 3 or 4 continuing education credits through NAADAC, NBCC, MNA, and ASWB. Certificates will be emailed directly to participants roughly two weeks after the completion of the Praxis training.
The Center for Social Innovation, Provider #1457, is approved as a provider for social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) through the Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. The Center for Social Innovation maintains responsibility for the program. ASWB Approval Period: 10/17/2016 to 10/17/2017. Social workers should contact their regulatory board to determine course approval. Social workers participating in this course will receive 3 or 4 continuing education clock hours.
ACCOMMODATIONS: If you need accommodations for disability, please contact Courtney Crouse at email@example.com.
GRIEVANCES: If you would like to report a complaint, please email Katie Volk, Praxis Project Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org or Cheryl Gagne, Praxis Training Director, at email@example.com.
Opioid Overdose Prevention Resources