SPARC: Supporting Partnerships for Anti-Racist Communities
Meet the SPARC Team
History of Housing Segregation
- Read this list of Anti-Racism Resources for Homeless Services Providers.
- Watch a breakout session on racism and homelessness from the National Zarrow Mental Health Symposium with Jeff Olivet & Marc Dones.
- Jeff Olivet discusses the link between racism and homelessness in an interview with Matt Gleason from the Mental Health Association Oklahoma.
- Hear Jeff Olivet discuss racism and homelessness in an interview with Rich Fisher of Public Radio Tulsa.
- Watch footage from the launch of SPARC San Francisco Addressing Racism and Homelessness event.
- Check out this video of “Hard Conversations: Racism & Homelessness,” our SPARC Dallas kick-off event sponsored by Metro Dallas Homeless Alliance and Dallas Public Library.
SPARC in the News
- Read a San Francisco Chronicle op-ed by C4’s Marc Dones & San Francisco Department of Homelessness and Supportive Housing’s Jeff Kositsky on the link between racism and homelessness.
- Check out “Pierce County, Tacoma Part of National Study of Race And Homelessness” about SPARC’s work in Washington from KNKX.
- Read Dallas News coverage of the launch of SPARC Dallas.
- Listen to this interview with KERA News about race and homelessness and what Dallas is doing about it.
- Read this editorial in the Columbus Dispatch by SPARC partner Stephanie Hightower of the Columbus Urban League.
- Check out “Getting at the Root of the Racial Disparity in Homelessness” in The News Tribune (Tacoma, WA).
- Listen to “Exploring Local Connections between Racism and Homelessness,” WCBE’s coverage of the SPARC Columbus kick-off event.
- Read “Racial Equity and Homelessness Community Conversation Coming to Tacoma” from the Suburban Times.
- The Columbus Dispatch covers the SPARC kick-off in “Why do black families make up so much of Central Ohio’s homeless population?“
- Listen to KNKX coverage of the SPARC Tacoma/Pierce County kick-off event in “In Tacoma, A Frank Conversation About Race and Homelessness.”
- Watch coverage of the Tacoma/Pierce County kick-off “Tacoma Holds Community Meeting about Racial Equity and Homelessness” by Pierce County TV.
- Watch the Northwest Now show on KBTC about Homeless African Americans in Pierce County, WA.
- Listen to this story from KERA News about closing the racial gap among those who are homeless in Dallas (starting at 3:48).
- Read “Syracuse count shows minorities are more likely to be homeless” from Syracuse.com.
- Check out “How Dallas’ History Paved The Way For A Disproportionately Black Homeless Population” from KERA.
- Listen to “Where Homelessness & Racism Intersect” from KQED in San Francisco.
- Read and watch footage about the SPARC Syracuse kick-off in “SPARC tackles racism and homelessness in Syracuse” from CNYCentral.com.
- Check out “Homelessness is like lots of issues: Racism makes it worse,” a Boston Globe opinion piece by Renee Graham.
- Read “People of color more like to experience homelessness, report shows” from the Daily Free Press.
- Listen to a “Race and Homelessness” segment from Think Outloud on Oregon Public Broadcasting.
- Read “Tackling the tough questions about race, homelessness in Portland” from Street Roots News.
- Watch “Portland joins national study to examine race’s role in homelessness” from KGW8.
- Read “‘Not an accident’ that people of color over-represented in homeless population, study shows” from The News Tribune (WA).
- Read “Report: racial disparity in homelessness not just a result of poverty” from The Columbus Dispatch.
- Watch “Project SPARC” from PBS’ Northwest Now (WA).
- Read “Minorities hit hard by homelessness crisis” in Tacoma Weekly News (WA).
- Check out “Panel discusses how racial equity can help solve homelessness” from Spare Change News.